Monday, October 15, 2012

Bowi's Little Project

About two months ago, I posted an album on my Facebook account with this introduction:

"Bowi wants to do his bit by selling some of his newest artworks. Proceeds will be donated entirely to the victims of the flood. All artworks at P200. Please PM me the titles of the artworks you wish to buy."

Days passed and life happened (i.e., work and ailments) so I was not able to follow up collection and deliveries with his buyers immediately. I finally received most of the payments, added a bit of my own money to come up with the round figure of P1,500.

But since all of the Habagat relief campaigns have ended at this time, I decided to donate the proceeds to Tzu Chi Foundation, which does the same work anyway as a "Buddhist compassion relief foundation". We (Bowi, his buyers, and I as project head) are all assured that the money will go to those who need it. It is an established, well-known, and respected institution. My brother, Charlie, has been with Tzu Chi as a regular employee for quite a bit.

We were invited to become a part of the monthly program for their young scholars. Tzu Chi wanted to tell the children about Bowi's little project to, hopefully, inspire them also to help in their little ways. I am usually not for broadcasting acts of compassion (of course, since it defeats the purpose!) but if it would somehow help other children think that they can do something, even if they are poor and even if it's a small thing, then I'm all for it.



Bowi prepared a "speech" the night before. But he didn't use it anyway.



Bowi arrives in Tzu Chi Foundation, Quezon City. It was a hot day.



Bowi with (from left) cousin Cara, my sister Elmo, cousin Daniel, and my brother Charlie (Tzu Chi employee). Daniel and Cara were there as scholar volunteers, too.



With me (and my new bag)



Bowi's audience



It was a long wait to get to Bowi's segment.



Patiently waiting for his turn.



Bowi: This is for your Eye Center.



Counting the money with Tzu Chi Foundation's CEO Alfredo Li.



Photo op with Tzu Chi Foundation volunteers.



After the program, he was interviewed for a story that will appear in the Tzu Chi Magazine. (Or newsletter? Or website? I totally forgot.)



This little guy didn't need coaching. In all my years conducting interviews, I have never seen a session as refreshing and fun and original as what transpired that day.



See that big smile? He is very happy to help. I only hope you grow up to be a compassionate and loving person, my dear son. I am very, very, very proud of you.






No comments:

Post a Comment